Thursday, September 22, 2005

All about the colors

I have being reading the newspaper despite getting them a day late or so. The news that did catch my attention is that bloggers have being arrested for racism. It’s a dirty word yet in truth you see it everyday whether in big or small ways. It may even be integrated within ourselves when we are born. This is definitely not true IMO.

Here's something I experienced myself.

Before I left for Brunei, my nieces could happily play on the playground with other kids, be it white, brown, black, rainbow etc. When I came back for my home leave the last previous months, I realized one thing when I took them out for a short walk to buy some groceries (ok my things, the kids got saddled on me), where they used smile and wave at their malay, indian friends before, they were silent and sullen when we passed by another family going out. I noticed it and was kinda surprised at that time and so I asked them. The story I got could truly prove that kids get their attitudes from their parents. It turned out that their mother got into a minor quarrel with the other kids parents regarding the other party’s son kicking at my oldest niece on a slide. According to the kids it was an accident but somehow it got overblown. I have no idea how that happened.

Side note to self. Don’t get between mothers and their children.

Whatever the case, the damage was done and somehow it seemed the son was now anti-chinese since he ignored all his previous chinese friends. He must be confused as I look nothing like your typical chinese due to my mixed blood. I’m dark and told I resemble more a malay due to my tanned skin than a chinese. I get described as a chinese by my malay friends abject with dark skin. It doesn’t matter though as I get very mixed reactions on being a chinese or a malay, in fact I find it a joke when my friends are unsure as to my racial identity on my first meeting me. I’m a filipino – chinese mixed lol.

Which leaves me a little matter enough to make me more than a little worried. What if someone posts something racial or with intent to spread racism on my blog (small chance) and being that I seldom manage to get online as I’m still doing my tour in Brunei, I may not be able to monitor my blog or what gets posted on it regularly. Would I end up being sued? Somehow the answer I came up with doesn’t help allay my fears. Nice……………. Blogging for fun? Likely to get sued? Real nice…………. Seriously………

A couple more months to stay in Brunei lor. Come back try get attached lor. EOT lor!!!!! ORD soon lor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet Singapore!!!!! Soon My precious Soon My precious heh heh heh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home